International Space Station mode (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 05:44:04 -0500 (EST)
From: McGrane <tmcgrane@suffolk.lib.ny.us>
To: sarex@amsat.org
Cc: Amsat BB <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Subject: International Space Station mode

Greetings from Patrick N2OEQ

This mail is regarding two issues. First is a possible mode change on ISS
and second is the power level on Oscar Echo.

The Echo power level will remain at flea power for the foreseeable future
with a few exceptions to make the satellite last longer. I read in the
ECHO manual I purchased that it was capable of up to 7 watts and I was
very happy when it was turned up to 2 watts.

Since the echo satellite is only practically useable by well equiped
stations, I would like to see the ISS kenwood radio switched over to
cross-band repeat mode since it is capable of higher power output and
useable by more common regularly equipped stations.
Unfortuneatly, The astronauts rarely make QSO's which is what I would
really like so the next best thing is for us to work each other through
the ISS.

If the ISS had BBS packet capability, I wouldnt mind the packet, but
simple digipeating no longer appeals to me personally.

Thank you for allowing me to post this, 73 to all, Patrick N2OEQ 32323