Wet Trees?

In the past few months I've noticed that there are days when I just can't
work SO-50 below 12 degrees (normally getting down to 5 to 6 depending on
the azimuth.) The signal seems to fade in and out as the satellite moves in
azimuth, sometimes becoming stronger at a lower elevation.  It usually
seems to happen after there has been a rain.

After testing power out/VSWR and passing the test, the next thing that came
to mind is that the wet trees, mostly thick pines and laurels which still
have their leaves, are attenuating the signal more than when they are
dry.  Does that seem possible?

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm