Re: R: UCISAT Update and Question

On 26 Jan 2005 at 11:42, i8cvs wrote:

> Hi Matt, KF6RTB
>
> To choose a frequency for a satellite working in to the Satellite
Amateur
> band is not a private affair between you and the FCC but between
you and
> all the radio amateur community through the IARU Frequency
Coordinator
> and the IARU Satellite Advisor actually ZS6AKV Hans Van de
Groenendaal
> zs6akv@amsat.org
>

> For a correct procedure ask more information to Martha Saragovitz
at the
> AMSAT-NA Office martha@amsat.org and to W3PK,Perry Klein
> perryklein@earthlink.net or to the ARRL,the American Radio Relay
League
> arrl@amsat.org
>
> 73" de
>
> i8CVS Domenico

I think Domenico you want to ask if there is a governing entity who
manadged and assign or authorized frequencies among world wide
amateur satellite community?

There is rules at IARU but i'm not sure if they have any enforcing
power could be an advisory one only.

The rest is up to the folks involved in the satellite construction.
If they choose to go ahead i think they can do it without asking for
any authorisations.

Did this happen often?  i don't know,  but i just recall the Maroc-
tubsat saga in 2002. Here is a memory refresh for those who where not
there at that time:

On 23 January 2002, the word spread around the world about an
"intruder" on the 144-146 MHz amateur band. Space listener's quickly
identified the satellite as MAROC-TUBSAT, launched 10 December from
Baikonur in Kazakhstan on a Zenit-2 rocket. The satellite has the
international designation 2001-56D and is in an orbit with an
inclination of 99.6 degrees, a period of 105.2 minutes and an
altitude between 986.8 and 1015.5 km

Originally, Morocco filed the following frequencies with the ITU.

143.625 MHz  (same as voice from ISS and Mir!!)
436.075 MHz
2208.0 MHz

The satellite was heard on 144.1 MHZ and IARU was never mentionned
anywhere!

The presently used frequency appears to be a violation of
international agreements on how to use the 144-146 MHz radio amateur
band (the so-called 2 meter band). The OSCAR satellite sub-band is
145.8-146.0 MHz.  Morocco is an IARU member (International Amateur
Radio Union) and should be well aware of this. 2-m band planning
gives 144.05-144.10 for general CW and weak signals and 144.10-144.20
for Earth-Moon-Earth transmissions and weak signal Single Side Band
(SSB) communications.

This was in 2002 and we are in 2005... International binding
authorities loose weight since that time... Is this is a trend or a
deliberate choice? I think we have to rely only on us (read amateur
world community) to get the answer.

If the word cooperation is still meaning something,  it will be
interresting to follow the events and comments from the yelling
minority...;)

"-"
Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT Quebec coordonnator