Re: MARScom with HAM downlink ?

William,
this satellite has nothing to do with HAM radio or
frequenceis, other than the fact that ANYONE with
a HAM license can join MARS and as a MARS
member, they can use the satellite.

Thank you for finding this error in the docs.  None of the
frequenceis will be in the Amateur Radio Bands.
The intent of that sentence was to imply that the
downlink will be receivable easily on a HAM band radio.

I will fix the wording so as not to confuse...

de Wb4APR, Bob

>>> "William Leijenaar" <pe1rah@hotmail.com> 1/25/05 2:36:17 AM >>>
Hi AMSATs,

I just read about the MARScom satellite project on the internet.
I just read the following:

>The uplink to the satellite will occur between 249 to 254 MHz and
downlink
>will occur between 27 >to 29 MHz. This will allow us to utilize the
Navy's
>MARS bandwidth. Since the MARS frequencies are >an amateur band,
encryption
>will not be required on our system.

You can find it under:
http://web.ew.usna.edu/~raft/Passive_communications_system.htm

It seems to me that ham frequencies are use to avoid any encryption,
and
propably also for a cheap downlink frequencies...  This all  for a
"Navy/Marine Corps Military Affilliate Radio System"...
Espacially he the word "Millitary" doesn't taste to well for me in
combination with a ham downlink.

What this satellite will contribute to the international ham community
???
In what part of the 27...29MHz band the downlink will be ???
In the ham-satellite section ??? (I really hope not...)

You can not use 137MHz area ? its also satellite section and none ham.

73
William
---