From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On Behalf
Of William Leijenaar
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 2:36 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] MARScom with HAM downlink ?

Hi AMSATs,

I just read about the MARScom satellite project on the internet.
I just read the following:

>The uplink to the satellite will occur between 249 to 254 MHz and downlink
>will occur between 27 >to 29 MHz. This will allow us to utilize the Navy's
>MARS bandwidth. Since the MARS frequencies are >an amateur band, encryption

>will not be required on our system.

You can find it under:
http://web.ew.usna.edu/~raft/Passive_communications_system.htm

It seems to me that ham frequencies are use to avoid any encryption, and
propably also for a cheap downlink frequencies...  This all  for a
"Navy/Marine Corps Military Affilliate Radio System"...
Espacially he the word "Millitary" doesn't taste to well for me in
combination with a ham downlink.

What this satellite will contribute to the international ham community ???
In what part of the 27...29MHz band the downlink will be ???
In the ham-satellite section ??? (I really hope not...)

You can not use 137MHz area ? its also satellite section and none ham.

73
William
---