Re: Comparing rigs TS-2000 vs FT-897D --> IC-820H

John,

NE0P writes:
>Doesn't SO41 require a PL tone?  I remember getting on
>that satellite with a TS2000 I had, so it must have
>been possible to use a PL tone while set up in
>satellite memories.
>73s John NE0P

The TS2K has several ways to work a satellite with a PL tone, but not in the preferable SATL mode.  The most common is to simply operate in SPLIT mode, similar to how any dual-band transceiver might work.  The downside of this is you cannot hear yourself.  Another option is to use the SUB receiver for 70 cm and the MAIN receiver (and transmitter) for 2 meters.  The reason people don't like this option is 1) the SUB receiver is slightly less sensitive to the MAIN receiver, 2) the SUB receiver lacks some of the DSP functions, and 3) it is not a natural configuration for much of the software out there that controls the rig's frequency for Doppler shift.

All Kenwood has to do is change some bit in the firmware that allows the TUNE function to work in SATL mode and all will be fine with the world.  They have done that in the past on previous firmware upgrades to fix other minor issues and the users just download the new flash file from the web and install it on the rig.
73,
Jerry, VK8OE