Re: Comparing rigs TS-2000 vs FT-897D --> IC-820H

Hi Mark (nice to hear from you),

N8MH writes:

>Hi Jerry,
>
>Can you elaborate on the firmware upgrade that fixes the PL tone/satellite mode issue?  This is the first reference to a "fix" that I've heard of (although many have asked Kenwood about it via email, including me!).
>
>I wasn't aware of any new firmware releases.
>
>73,
>
>Mark N8MH

Kenwood released this notice (to K9FL) about 2 weeks ago:
Dear Kenwood Customer:

Presently the TS-2000, TS-B2000, and TS-2000X is unable to access or operate with PL/TONE when in satellite mode. Please remember the TS-2000,TS-B2000, and TS-2000X has been on the market for the last 3 years.  It
took almost three years for Kenwood to bring this marvelous
transceiver to market. Back at that time no satellites required a PL/TONE.  Perhaps in the near future there will be update for the TS-2000 to implement PL/TONE in satellite mode.

If you need further assistance, please e-mail us again.

Sincerely,

Kenwood Amateur Radio Customer Support
Rumor (it wouldn't be amateur radio without rumors) has it the "fix" is already in testing at a well known sat ops shack, but I cannot confirm that.
73,
Jerry, VK8OE