Re: RE: 38k4 Operation with FT 847

I think the IFD board is the only way to get on 38k4 packet for now (I'll take that back--the Icom PCR-1000 is supposed to be ready for 38k4 packet out of the box).

The good news?  The IFD "normal" board is good up to like 76k8, so you'll be ready for that, too :)

The TNC choices boil down to this:  Kantroncics KPC-9612+, Paccomm Sprint-2, a DSP unit (such as the TAPR-interface/EVM56002), and the Symek TNC3/TNC31 units.

Also--in case you haven't seen these, Dean:

http://www.symek.com/g/ifd847.html

I put an IFD board into both a TS-790A and a TS-2000X.  It took me about 2 weeks of mental preparation for the TS-2000X, given that it involves surface mount :)  In the end, a $9 soldering iron (15 watt, grounded tip) from RadioShack allowed me to do it with apparent success.

73,

Mark N8MH

> From: "Howard Long" <howard@howardlong.com>
> Date: 2005/01/24 Mon AM 04:47:34 EST
> To: "AL7CR" <al7cr@punakea.com>,  <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
> Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] 38k4 Operation with FT 847
>
> Hi Dean
>
> > I would also appreciate comments on installing the mod.  I have written
> > Ulf to ask if he would do it for a fee.  If he will I would still face
> > round trip airfreight for an 847 from Oregon which is certain to be
> > expensive.  Hence I am looking for input as to the difficulty of the mod
> > if it is essential.
>
> If you're competent at soldering, it's do-able, but see my notes at
> http://www.g6lvb.com/Symek%20IFD.htm because it isn't for the faint hearted.
>
> 73 Howard G6LVB

Mark L. Hammond    [N8MH]