38k4 Operation with FT 847

I am considering setting up for 38k4 operation.  Is an IFD mod essential
for reception using an FT 736 or FT 847 and a TNC3S with appropriate
modems or simply desirable?  I have both an FT 736 and an FT 847 that I
have used for sat operation.  I would likely want use the 847 for this
mode.  It is mighty tight in there though as I discovered when I
installed INRAD filters.

I would also appreciate comments on installing the mod.  I have written
Ulf to ask if he would do it for a fee.  If he will I would still face
round trip airfreight for an 847 from Oregon which is certain to be
expensive.  Hence I am looking for input as to the difficulty of the mod
if it is essential.

Thanks,

Dean Shutt
AL7CR