Re: Comparing rigs TS-2000 vs FT-897D --> IC-820H

Hi All,
On this one it is a good dual band all mode radio, but the Satellite mode is
a disaster, you can not switch between satellite and normal modes without
loosing your frequencies in the VFO I have found that the satellite mode
offers nothing that I can do in the non Satellite mode. The whole
frustrating experience can be avoided by the use of a dime store calculator
with the Satellite offset programmed in . This makes it a good unit, but a
great unit would allow the choice of TX from either the sub or main band,
Then you could have the features of the best receiver on the satellite down
link instead of the uplink where it is useless for  satellite work. The
inclusion of a power control on the TX would also be welcome.

It does make a good v/u contest rig where the Rx and TX are on the same band
and power is always maximum. Note you cannot utilize the speech compressor
and the hi/low power at the same time, it is either or. To change it you
must power down , power up in the program mode , make the change power down
and repower up. Do you think this will be done during a contest or a pass?
Look it is high power, speech compressor on, all the way!

Art, KC6UQH