Re: GPS ERROR ? Kep's

At 10:29 AM 1/20/2005, Steve kb9ups wrote:
>I have heard that as a result of the tsunami the Earth "lost" 1/2 second
>in rotation and that the Earth is no longer under the satellites as it was.

I believe you are mistaken.

There was a news story (widely copied) indicating that some guy had
calculated that the earthquake may have changed the length of the day by 3
MICROseconds.  This was a calculation rather than a measurement, as the day
varies enough for other reasons to make it difficult to measure such a change.

Three microseconds is real small relative to any antenna pointing you're doing.

On the other hand, if you have a reference for the half second, please
point me to it.