From: "Andrew Glasbrenner" <glasbrenner@mindspring.com>
To: "Michael E. Mc Kaughan" <drmmckaugh@earthlink.net>; <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Comparing rigs TS-2000 vs FT-897D

> The FT-897 has the distinct advantage of being wholly portable with
optional internal batteries, which sounds like just the thing for your HF
mission. However it is not a satellite radio and only operates half-duplex.
See the upcoming Journal for an article I wrote about using the 897's little
brother, the 817, for FO-29 portable operations. It's possible to work the
linear transponders half duplex with some major caveats involving power and
tuning procedures. Half duplex is NOT recommended for the FM voice
satellites due to collisions on the single uplink frequency and the
confusion and congestion this causes. You need to be able to hear if you are
interfering with other users.

> I've had good luck using a FT-817, paired with either a FT-100 or a single
band portable allmode rig like the FT-790mkII, on both AO-40 and the low
orbit satellites. You could do the same thing with the 897 and a single
bander for probably much less than the 2000 costs.

> Also, be aware of the birdie issues with the 2000 and the downlink for
AO-27 and SO-50 (2/3 rds of the FM fleet).