Re: G-5500 control unit lights?

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the LED/resistor route, but didn't really like the outcome (didn't have the right LEDs for the job).  It looks like a clear "medium" size LED is the one to use...the smaller green one I tried was too dim.   Maybe 2 clear LEDs per window?

In any event, in the true ham spirit I decided to make do with what was handy---I found a small bag with about a dozen "grain of wheat" bulbs (actually, bigger than a grain!  more like a pencil eraser) that, as I recall, are 18V bulbs.  It is a bit dimmer than the original, but will suffice.

I'll grab a few LEDs for the future repair...

Thanks again for the replies.

73,

Mark N8MH

At 01:01 PM 1/17/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>Some time ago, I recall a bit of discussion about replacing the lamps in the G-5500 control unit with LEDs and/or resistors.
>
>I've looked in my archives, and tried to find it in the amsat-bb archives (wouldn't it be nice to be able to search through them :) So far, no luck.
>
>Can anyone provide the details?  I had a recent failure and no longer have a spare.  And the "real" bulb is expensive...
>
>73 and thanks in advance,
>

>Mark L. Hammond    [N8MH]
>----

Mark L. Hammond  [N8MH]