RE: BGA soldering

This is an area I know something about since solder was one of my categories back when I was a Materials Engineer at Hewlett Packard.

Most of the water-soluble fluxes must be washed off after use since they use a corrosive flux.  Since they are watrer-soluble that's not hard to do.  The rosin-based fluxes generally do not need to be washed off since the acid is encased in the flux where it doesn't do any harm.  In fact, it is generally best NOT to try to remove rosin flux because if you don't do a very good job all you accomplish is to release the ionic contaminants and spread them around.

The best rosin-based flux for this kind of application is the RMA type.  RMA stands for "Rosin, Mildly Activated".  Mildly activated means the flux is not highly corrosive.  I believe most solder pastes intended for electronics work use that kind of flux.

Alan Bloom N1AL