Re: BGA soldering

Howard,

Just a bit of latteral thinking here.
For thr prototype, how about putting small via's under each pin. I an
thinking that you may be able to wick up solder throug the via to solder the
pin/ball. Also, if the solder ball on the package is proud enough, the ball
would locate in the via giving perfect positioning.
Not sure how practical this would be for your application.

For QFP's I used a rework station, with ceramic heaters above and below the
board (sounds like a hi tech toaster doesn't it!), with shutters to mask the
heat off from the rest of the board. Worked well, but seperate temp control
of both heaters was a must. So I expect for a BGA toaster, this would be
required as well.

Jules
G0NZO

> If anyone has had any  experience of small scale prototyping BGA's onto
PCBs