Re: BGA soldering

> owner-AMSAT-BB-digest@amsat.org writes:
>
> However  in space a socket is not going to be any use.
>
> If anyone has had any  experience of small scale prototyping BGA's onto
> PCBs without resorting to  third party commercial operations, I'd be
> glad of any tips.
>
> I'm fine  hand soldering the 0.4 and 0.5mm QFP's, but I'm not sure how
> to go about  dealing with BGA packages.

Searching for: BGA toaster reflow    will turn up a number of hits on
Google.  The other problem is alignment, most places use X-ray systems to
verify part alignment and solder quality.  If you're building it for a
space application, you probably want this done anyway.

> Hi Howard.
>
> The 1mm pitch is very close to the 25 thou pitch used on the DDS  chips.
>
> It's not a problem to solder these provided you have some solder wick to
>   remove the bridges which will occur when you hand solder.

You can't hand solder what you can't see/reach.  BGA packages use little
solder balls underneath the IC package (didn't we spend years trying to
get rid of that problem?) to attach to the PCB.

73 Mike W4LNA