Re: BGA soldering

owner-AMSAT-BB-digest@amsat.org writes:

However  in space a socket is not going to be any use.

If anyone has had any  experience of small scale prototyping BGA's onto PCBs
without resorting to  third party commercial operations, I'd be glad of any
tips.

I'm fine  hand soldering the 0.4 and 0.5mm QFP's, but I'm not sure how to go
about  dealing with BGA packages.

73, Howard G6LVB

Hi Howard.

The 1mm pitch is very close to the 25 thou pitch used on the DDS  chips.

It's not a problem to solder these provided you have some solder wick to
remove the bridges which will occur when you hand solder.

There is a very good guide in the Rad Com article on the N2PK network
analyser. I think it was Nov or Oct 2004.

Basically, position the chip very carefully and solder the 4 corner pins.
Use a magnifier to check the position.

Then solder the rest..............OK, a small iron bit is essential (I have
a 2mm one butyou can buy 1mm or 1.5mm and even then you will have
bridges...but  these can be removed with the solder wick.

73

David