RE: Prototyping BGA's

Since you can't access BGA pads with a soldering iron, you have to use solder paste, which is liquid rosin solder flux mixed with powdered solder.  Apply a small dab of paste to each pad, place the BGA IC with the proper registration and heat.

The heating is the hard part - you have to get the temperature hot enough to melt the solder but not so hot it damages components.  63%/37% tin/lead solder melts at 183 degC (361 degF).  You need to get both the PC board and the BGA component above that temperature to assure good joints.

Al N1AL