Re: Prototyping BGA's

Howard,

You might want to check out the archives on building the
Micro908 (AA908) on the AMQRP web site. (
WWW.AMQRP.ORG )

There is a link to the AA908 page. On that page there is a link
to a discussion on soldering SMT's.

There were many (tried) methods used on this project to solder
SMT's in place. Summarized as follows;

1. Just plain using a fine tipped temperature controlled
soldering station.

2. Use a hand held soldering iron to flood the pins with solder,
and then use solder wick to remove the excess from between
the pins. Comment: Actually works!!

3. Use a solder paste and place the components on the PCB,
then put the whole thing in the oven. Comment: I have not tried
this one... but several folks have said this works fine.

4. Place the component on the pads then, using a Pencil torch
or a narrow nozzle heat gun, melt the solder.

There are probably quite a few more 'home brew' ways of
doing this.

I also found a lot of information on the individual SMT/BGA
vendors' sites..

Don't know if this will help...

Dave KK7SS