Prototyping BGA's

Folks

I am working on an experimental satellite payload project that demands the
use of at least one BGA package (1mm pitch, 252 pins). On the ground it's
fine as I've located a source of BGA sockets, despite the sockets costing
about five times as much as the chip!

However in space a socket is not going to be any use.

If anyone has had any experience of small scale prototyping BGA's onto PCBs
without resorting to third party commercial operations, I'd be glad of any
tips.

I'm fine hand soldering the 0.4 and 0.5mm QFP's, but I'm not sure how to go
about dealing with BGA packages.

73, Howard G6LVB