Chris Phelps N2YQP -- SK

Fellow Hams --

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of a friend of mine,
Chris Phelps N2YQP, of Albuquerque, New Mexico.  Many of you probably
worked Chris on AO-27, UO-14 and other birds.  He was always equipped with
his portable satellite gear while on the road, always happy to hand out
new grids, and always happy to send out custom QSL cards picturing his
location at the time of each QSO.

Chris moved to Albuquerque from New York some 10 years ago and became
active on APRS, satellites and 10-GHz WBFM.  He was the second person
responsible for getting me active on the FM sats (the other being Jerry
Schmitt KK5YY, also a Silent Key).  In fact, Chris was always found
side-by-side with Jerry, promoting and demonstrating satellite operations,
Arrow antenna and dual-band HT at the ready. The most memorable contact
was when Jerry was demonstrating AO-27 from the Anchorage, Alaska Hamfest
in 1998 and Chris contacted him -- during an AO-27 demonstration at the
Albuquerque Hamfest.  Crowds on both ends watched with curiosity and
amazement.  A neat writeup about this contact and a pic of Chris during
it can be found at http://members.aol.com/greg6fzh/n2yqp.htm

Chris passed away on Tuesday, December 28, due to a sudden and hard fight
with cancer.  He was only 53. I did not announce his passing to this list
sooner because I've been gathering information from his family first. I
was told arrangements for Chris are being made at this time by his family
back in Upstate New York.

Chris's family has requested that any donations in his name be made to any
(or both) of two places.  The first is AMSAT -- Chris was passionate about
satellite communications, and he would want nothing but a bright future
for this side of Ham Radio so others can have as much fun on the birds as
he did. The second is the American Cancer Society so that one day cancer
can be beaten and good people like Chris won't be taken from us because of
it in the future.

I do not have much contact with Chris's family, so my apologies if I
cannot answer any questions that might be phrased.  I know that he will be
missed dearly, both within the satellite community as well as throughout
the New Mexico Ham community.

If any of you wish to express your condolences to his family, please email
them to me and I will compile and deliver them.

73,
Brian Mileshosky, N5ZGT
ARRL Vice-Director, Rocky Mountain Division