UCISAT-1

Fellow AMSAT members and enthusiasts,
I am writing today to notify you of an exciting new cubesat project begun at the University of California, Irvine. Our mission: to launch a nano satellite (dubbed UCISAT-1) with an on-board CMOS camera into LEO by October 2005. This project began almost a year ago with a handful of engineers, but has now grown to a group of 20 dedicated team members and 10 major sponsors, including Boeing and Parker Hannifin. When launched, the satellite will transmit scheduled telemetry and imagery at 500 to 1000 mW back to our ground station on the UCI campus. Best of all, if proper authorization is obtained, the satellite operating frequency will be allocated in the UHF Amateur Radio Band! This will give amateur operators the opportunity to experiment with a smaller satellite and intercept imagery in a familiar band.

At this moment, the project is moving into its final stage of planning and development before moving to sub-assembly of the actual satellite. A ground station is already in place, and has been used in several successful QSOs on AO-27 and AO-51 with my call, KF6RTB. Although this is a good first step, there are still many more objectives and challenges ahead, and we need your help! The AMSAT Bulletin Board is a fantastic resource, and many of you have already provided us with valuable information thus far. However, we still require additional information and parts, and have a limited budget to work with. So, if anyone has any useful electronics gear, software, or books lying around and would like to donate to the project, please send a reply! I will post a more specific list in the near future. All donors will be recognized on our website, receive frequent status reports by email, and (if located in the area) are welcome to our technical meetings as well (Did I mention tax br!
 eak??).
 If there is enough interest, I can also post monthly progress reports on the bulletin board to keep everyone up to speed.

For additional information, please visit our new website at www.ucisat.net .

Thank you all for time and interest. See you on the Sats!

73,

KF6RTB

Matt Bennett

UCISAT Communications Team Member