Re: DARES NL helps in Asia

William,

Interesting, yes!

What occurs to me are some questions:
1)  Is there a list of areas needing communications (i.e. no local in-tact
telecom services)?
2)  Is there a list of local ham radio operators in these areas?
3)  Is there a list of hams in the area that are available to help (in
needed locations)?
4)  Is there a list of what these hams have in equipment: bands, modes, etc.?
5)  Is there a lise of areas which have no local power?

Knowing some of this enables an "agency" or group to know what to respond
with!   And where and who to send it to.  In all disasters there is much
chaos due to poor coordination (which often is due to poor communications),
with wrong resources going to the wrong area at the wrong time.

OK, most of this information is best accumulated "before the fact"!  This
is called planning.  Obviously this is absent in the South Asia Disaster.
So now one is faced with figuring out what to do in support without good,
or in some cases no, information.

Sending equipment in support is admirable, and hopefully will get into
hands of capable people and needing areas.  It is especially good to not
just send off a "pile of cast-off equipment"...better that complete
stations be packaged and marked as such.  Portable repeaters are another
good idea and can either be constructed from HT's or mobile radios,
depending on the power source available (HT rptrs work better from batteries).

Where I work we have 8 solar-powered, battery HT-based repeaters (6 are VHF
and two cross-band).  They are heavy units that are best moved by
helicopter or pickup.  We also have two Pelican cased VHF repeaters that
use 6-volt lattern batteries and weigh 20-lbs.  All these are
self-contained with necessary antennas, cables, and set-up instructions!
In addition is a communication planning book to instruct how to build a
radio network.   We also have 12 GPS trackers (half use VHF to report and
half use the Argos satellite).  All this cost money...about $500K.  It is
for comm support of oil spills in this part of Alaska.  No it cannot be
sent in support of the disaster in Asia as it is part of the legal
requirement for shipping oil in Alaska waters.

The needs for southern asia are a hundred times (maybe thousand) this!  BTW
it is a good idea to have trained and identified personel availble to go
with such equipment to set-up and operate.

I think perhaps a marriage between the Winlink system and ham satellites
might be useful in certain ways.  I find it interesting that no use of
AO-51 is evident, so far!  Amsat can certainly look at how to best support
emergencies with satellites by interfacing with the exisiting national and
international disaster relief agencies (to understand their needs and to
apprise them of what we offer).  In the US a start is with ARES, ARRL, and
Home Land Security.

Well these are just some of my thoughts.

73's Ed - AL7EB
Dept. Head of Comms
Cook Inlet Spill Prevention and Response