From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On Behalf
Of Roger Kolakowski
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 1:20 PM
To: Amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Emergency Communications

I'll try to keep this on topic, as I will be mentioning ISS, but as I mull
the "needs" of areas in total devistation, I have to think back on the
1970's when the Owensboro ARC (Kentucky) rolled into Brandenburg / Xenia
Ohio area after a tornado that flattened towns on both sides of the river.

Luckily, they still had power, but had no continuity of communications at
all, no phonelines, no police/fire dispatch,etc. What hams did was set up
local repeaters to facilitate the coordination of aid to the area. After
basic needs were met, health and welfare traffic was handled.

In the early 1980's, the Salem, Massachusetts police department lost it's
ONLY repeater in a city of 50,000, populated by ledge and hills which
totally disrupted any dispatch capabilities. The North Shore Repeater
Association quickly provided portables, mobiles, and the local 146.88
repeater to the police department under ARES supervision. It took 12 hours
to get the police repeater back on line.

Back to AMSAT....I just looked at the "Heard by ISS" page for unproto
traffic from South Asia and there are absolutely no transmissions recorded
from the area effected by the Tsunamis.This is an area with 6 to 8 passes a
day.

Is the real difficulty that there is no "basic communications equipment" in
the area? Or is it lack of information about satellite capabilities? Should
we consider convincing the disaster agencies of the world of the value of
amateur satellite communications so that they purchase a number of data
ready transceivers to utilize in the affected areas?

In both of the above cases, the hams had to supply the equipment, not every
ham is a satellite user, or has digital gear, but they can quickly ramp up
if the gear is available.

I guess the bottom line is...if the areas can't even do 1200 baud
terrestrial packet, what can AMSAT possibly do with a satellite to
assist?....btw.. .I know there's always voice....

Roger
WA1KAT