Re: Re: TS 790 Sub display

There are two small bulbs on the sub band display.  I've always seen them go one at a time (never both at once).  When one goes bad, one side of the display is more "dim" than the other, but the overall display could be described as "dim", on a relative note.

So, it goes from bright (2 bulbs) to dimmer (1 bulb) to dimmest/dark (no functional bulb).

It jives with my observations...it's easy to swing down the front of the radio and visually see if the bulbs are working or not.  If not, it's a cheap easy test, and hopefully, fix.

73,

Mark N8MH

> From: "Gary Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
> Date: 2005/01/04 Tue AM 08:14:13 EST
> To: nigel@ngunn.net,  vlfiscus@mcn.net
> CC: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] TS 790 Sub display
>
> All of these folks talking about light bulbs.  I've never heard of a light
> bulb going 'dimmer and dimmer'.
>
> Vince, isn't the TS-790 display and sub display based on 7 segment L.E.D.s?
>
> If so, I have found the L.E.D. driver chips to be fairly robust.  Check the
> caps around the output of the L.E.D. driver chip.  I hope you have a
> schematic!
>
> 73,
> Joe
> kk0sd
>

> Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:
>
> >The sub display on my TS 790 has been getting dimmer & dimmer over the Past
> >year and now it's totally dark.  Has anyone else had this problem?  I'm
> >wondering if I can fix this myself or if it requires a new display.   I
> >don't think Kenwood will have parts for the 790 anymore.  Any help
> >appreciated.

Mark L. Hammond    [N8MH]