Re: AO-7 reception

Hi David,

It should be fine, particularly at night when AO-7 can be quite strong as
it comes out of eclipse.  I'm not sure if there is any specific reason for
it, but I always find AO-7 to be strongest when it is moving away from me
rather than approaching.

I use a 5 element beam on 2m and do have a preamp, but I only need to turn
it on when AO-7 is at the extremes of it's orbit.

The technique for listening is to look around the middle of the passband,
around 145.950.  At and below that you will likely hear CW; above it
phone.  It's rare that people go above 145.955 as there is a very strong
in-band oscillation above that.  Though noisy, signals can be very strong
skirting that oscillation, so don't be surprised if you hear stations up
there as well.

If you are planning on transmitting, it's usually best to find a quiet spot
near 145.950 and park your receiver there, and keep your transmitter tuned
to match your receiver.  That is the general way most people are using AO-7
these days.

73,

Emily

At 06:32 PM 1/2/2005 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'd like to give listening to AO-7 a shot.  I have a IC-290A (all mode 2m)
>and a 3 ele 2m beam.  Do I have a chance?
>How necessary is it to have a 2m preamp?  Lastly, what techinque would
>some of the more experieced operators reccommend?
>
>Thanks and 73s,
>David Carr
>KD5QGR
>----