Re: AO-7 reception

David,
You should be able to hear AO-7 with a 3 element beam ok.
I have worked it fine using  just a 2m dipole with no preamp
although I hear the bird at lower elevations better with my 11
element cushcraft pointed at the horizon.  I have also worked
AO-7 using my Arrow hand held antenna indoors.
73,
Dave W8IJ
Camp Hill, PA