RE: will AMSAT be ready for the next disaster?

My 'short' 2 cents worth...
I spent many years providing and supporting communications in
remote areas of Sub-Saharan Africa, from the Congo in the West
down to Swaziland in the East...
Most of the time the only power available was either the 12V from the
Landrover or the batteries I carried in my backpack.
Equipment was limited to what I could carry on my back together with
my personal gear.
I have worked in the remote areas of Indonesia and will testify to the
lack of reliable power sources and to the lack of even medium tech
gear.
Most of the Hams I met lived in the metropolitan areas, not out in the
sticks...
I also went through two Typhoons... When you are hip deep in water,
there is no power !!! Not to mention the difficulty of getting in or out !!

Bottom line; I suggest we should always try to accommodate
something simple like dual band HT's with 'Arrow' antennae

I will now step off my soap box..