Re: Emergency operations

Michael,

I notice that you quoted Art's message instead of mine. If I remember correctly,
he is older than me and most HF radios.

In my message I stated that HF is great for voice communication but that
bandwidth is limited for data communication. The point of my message was that
satellites would contribute more to emergency communications by providing a
larger pipe for data communication than by providing voice communication that is
already handled locally with VHF HTs and regionally with HF radios. Notice that
my message opened with "It seems to me that AMSAT and the ARRL (ARES and RACES)
need to discuss emergency communication and where satellites fit" and concluded
with "the determining factor is probably which type of ground station is best
suited to emergency use". If you've read the messages that I've posted in the
past few years, I've also been arguing for amateur satellites that allow simpler
ground stations and I assume that is also a prerequisite for emergency use. The
original PACSATs were developed for and used by simple ground stations using
battery power and omnidirectional antennas. Much higher data rates could be
supported with better satellites and the better software in the PC.

PCs and PDAs are more portable than HF radios and the ARES and RACES people at
ARRL HQ say that they are being used in increasing numbers in shelters and by
emergency responders. I'm not opposed to using voice communications in emergency
situations but think that it could be augmented by data communications that
eliminates the need for transcription. Neither am I denegrating HF as I was the
author of a proposal to allow 20 kHz bandwidth data communication on HF. That
seems to have been shelved and 3 kHz is still the limit in the ARRL regulation
by bandwidth proposal and the IARU band plans.

For emergency situations, I don't see where amateur satellites provide any
advantage in voice communication, but since they could provide faster digital
communication, I was encouraging AMSAT and its members to consider that.

73 and Happy New Year,

John
KD6OZH