RE: will AMSAT be ready for the next disaster?

>Having been involved in ARES to one degree or another for many years, I
>think I can safely say: the problems facing emergency communications would
>not be addressed by more amateur satellites of any kind.
>
>P.S.  If you don't believe me, contact the ARES Emergency Coordinator for
>your section and just ask him what his needs are. I'm pretty sure more
>HEO/LEO satellites won't even come up in the conversation.

And I disagree with you.  99% of the ARES people just are not familiar with
satellites.  The answer, in my opinion, is to educate more ARES operators
in the use of satellites, and get their heads out of the sand.
Today cell phones cover all and more of what ARES used to cover, and better.

I've been involved with amateur emergency communications over 40
years,  including ARES, and they are so far behind it is pitiful...At least
in the San Diego area, your area may be different, I hope so, but your
comments indicate to me that they are not...

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....