Emergency operations

----- Original Message -----
From: "KC6UQH" <kc6uqh@cox.net>
Sent: Friday, 31 December, 2004 19:30
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] RE: Will AMSAT (world wide) be ready for the next
disaster?

> John,
> The ARRL has always had an H.F. mentality, and I have suggested several
> times that they should change their name to the Antique Radio Relay
> League.

<snip>

Hope that you really enjoy the taste of your foot there John! Voice and/or
CW modes on HF continue to be widely used in emergency communications and
they're growing in popularity for several reasons including;  affordability
of equipment, dependability and effectiveness. Infrastructure intensive
amateur modes such as packet, satellite, SSTV and Winlink are great and I
use those modes frequently. However, a network of trained voice and/or CW
mode operators can move lots of message traffic. The minimum HF station with
a 12v battery, 5w to 100w transceiver, antenna tuner and as much wire up in
the trees as can be engineered quickly makes for a cheap and effective means
of communicating from directly in the area of operations out to a couple
thousand miles or more. How else can this be accomplished as cheaply? Add a
few stations with experienced operators that know how to conduct an
efficient network to accurately relay message traffic and you have
dependability.

Generators are few and far between right now in the tsunami affected areas
and HF radios that work on 12v auto batteries are critically important, as
you may have read on this reflector earlier in the week. When bad stuff
happens, the lowest common denominator is often times all that's available.

Antique appears to have a negative connotation for you. Emergency
communicators around the Indian Ocean are most probably very appreciative of
a working HF radio even if it's older than you are ...

If you'd like to participate in a serious emergency communications system
with many truly top-shelf (not showboaters...) operators and extensive
training oportunities, please contact me at your earliest convenience.

SGD,
Michael Barry AE6FL/AAM9ECS
ae6fl@arrl.net
- U.S. Army MARS Emergency Operations Officer for Southern CA
- ARES Emergency Coordinator for North San Luis Obispo County