From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of i8cvs
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 19:23
To: Alan Thoren; AMSAT-BB
Subject: R: [amsat-bb] will AMSAT be ready for the next disaster?

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan Thoren <ve4yz@shaw.ca>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2004 10:14 PM

> I took the initial keps for Eagle as they appear on the Amsat
site...

> 99999
> 1 99999U          09001.00000000  .00000000  00000-0  19862-4 0
00017
> 2 99999 006.9982 360.0000 7268270 359.9937 359.9996
2.33621032000018

> ... and had to manually enter them into Nova as it wouldn't accept
> them as is.  I then ran a full cycle through the figure "8" orbit
that is tilted
> slightly at the equator.   It runs from approximately a little
south of
the
> equator directly north of New Zealand at its western most journey.
> Then it goes  right over Liberia and the Ivory Coast in Africa on
its
> eastern most journey.
>
> Ironically the all of India, and Sri Lanka are excluded from the
> footprint but Indonesia is covered on its western most orbit.
>
> Perhaps someone else will try these preliminary keps in their
tracker
> and confirm.
>
> If this is correct, then Eagle would have been of little use in the
current
> crisis.
>
> As for the current crisis; as Jerry Lewis used to say... "Give,
give,
> give until it feels good."

Hi Alan, VE4YZ

The foot print that you see with the initial keps of EAGLE is not a
problem and I would be very happy to have a HEO immediately available
with such type of orbit because there are many hours per day in wich
the disaster area is available to the rest of the world if not
directly from the USA

The big problem with EAGLE is the epoch time of orbit Nr 18 that is
09001.00000000 or 01/01/2009

This means that you and we all must wait almost 5 years at best to
get EAGLE operational.

To be realistic if instead we all support AMSAT-DL for P3E than a new
HEO satellite will be available to replace AO40 at the end of 2005 or
in the worse case at the beginning of 2006

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush !

Best 73" de

i8CVS Domenico

----
Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the