Re: Will AMSAT be ready for the next disaster?

>Also, even knowing the expense, what about a geostationary
>orbit bird? I believe it would have to be a collective effort to achieve,
but
>worth the extra. Comments?
>Steve/kb9ups

Steve,

A geostationary bird is likely to cost at least an order of magnitude more
than a HEO spacecraft.  The ride into GTO costs the same per unit of mass as for
a HEO (it's the same ride), but a geo bird requires station-keeping fuel,
which weighs a lot, and a propulsion system capable of using that fuel to keep
the bird on station for its useful life.  So, the launch cost in dollars (euros,
yen, whatever) would be quite a bit more.

>From time to time, ideas have surfaced about trying to get a commercial or
government geo program to take an amateur transponder aboard as a "passenger."
They've always come to naught, because every kilogram of mass used by the
"passenger" means that the spacecraft will have to carry that much less of
station-keeping fuel, which equates to a shorter useful life.

Anybody got a hundred million or two to spare?

73, Ray