Re: Will AMSAT be ready for the next disaster?

Hi,

I'm no longer an officer or director of AMSAT, but I was around when the
decision was made to go for Echo rather than putting all our eggs in the Eagle
basket.  There were a number of reasons for that, most of which have already been
discussed here ad nauseum, but for me (as a financial type by profession) the
critical issue was that HEOs cost 5-10X more than LEOs (including launch),
and after AO-40 AMSAT-NA simply did not, and does not today, have the funds to
do more on a HEO project than R&D and preliminary design.  Not building Echo
wouldn't have changed that significantly, and now we have AO-51 in orbit and
fully operational.

I hope that everyone who posts messages saying "AMSAT should build a HEO"
actually takes a pen in hand and writes a generous check to the Eagle building
fund.  That's the only way I know of to make it happen!

73, Ray