Re: R: AO51 Freq.

You seem to be somewhat confused, so I would refer you back to my original
post.  What you initially asked about was transmissions in the 435-438 band.
AO-51 is mode V/u, meaning 2M uplink and 70cm downlink.  So your Thai
friends do not need to transmit in the 70cm band to use AO-51 because AO-51
does not receive that band.  AO-51 receives earth to space transmissions in
the 2M band.  If your friends were transmitting in 435-438 they would not
only violate Thai law but would be jamming the reception of the
satellite.  (However from what you say they will not be able to use VUSat
since it uses mode U/v.)

If you are addressing concern about the Thai government restricting
RE-TRANSMISSIONS in that band while the satellite is over Thailand, they
cannot by international agreement since the satellite is not only over
Thailand, but is also in range of other countries.  Also, the user of the
satellite is not the control operator of the satellite.  The control
operator is the designated control operator, which in the case of AO-51 is
licensed in the US.  Your Thai friends are making transmissions on 2 meters
and even though it is retransmitted by an American space station is not a
concern of the Thai government per international agreement.

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm

Join AMSAT!  http://www.amsat.org