R: RE: R: Amateur satellites and disasters...

----- Original Message -----
From: Lau, Zack, W1VT <w1vt@arrl.org>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Wednesday, December 29, 2004 8:17 PM
Subject: [amsat-bb] RE: R: Amateur satellites and disasters...

> Just over 10 years ago I made my first satellite contacts.
>
> I received QSLs from W6YVO, W3STW, W6ABN, and JA1BLC, operating from my
> parent's home in Honolulu.
>
> 70cm uplink: Icom IC-402 6.5 watt amp, 20 element yagi
> 2.4GHz downlink: 2 ft dish, homebrew converter, Yaesu FT-290mkII
>
> The antennas fit in a 2 ft square by 4 inch high box (60x60x10cm)
(baggage).
> The rigs, amp and converter fit in a 12x10x6 inch box (30x25x15cm)
(carried on airplane).
> Power:15 amp gell cell (baggage).
>
> I could hear myself with just 1.8 watts from the exciter,
> but needed the amp to make contacts.  I should have retuned the amplifier
> to get 10 watts output, but this was station was quickly thrown
together--I
> made the trip to attend my father's early retirement party.
>
> The S band dish support was a bunch of strategically
> placed wooden blocks.
> The 70 cm yagi support was a camera tripod.
>
> A 2 ft spun aluminum dish weighs 3lbs or 1.4kg--even with the wooden
struts and
> dish feed it is light and easy to handle.
>
> 73--Zack W1VT  ex KH6CP

Hi Zack, W1VT

I guess that you made your first satellite contact through OSCAR-13 mode-S
wich transponder power was only 1.5 watt in to a 6 turn 10 dBic helix
antenna and so a big difference in downlink from the powerfull S-mode of
AO40 !

We in Italy duplicated almost 20 PCB of your Mode-S Receive Converter
that was published in QEX july 1994 and they worked all great on OSCAR-13
and AO40 mode-S

Our friend Piero i5TDJ now SK got the Poscript image file for the board
from the ARRL BBS and he supplied to us the strategic parts like the ATC
100A chip capacitors and the SYM-11 mixer and he was active in Mode-S
using a small offset dish just mounted over a camera tripode and aimed to
OSCAR-13 by hand on the roof every day

I still have two PCBs one for the 564 MHz LO and the other one for the
receive converter and I plan to use it to build another prototype as soon as
possible.

Sorry I dont have the opportunity to contact you as KH6CP from your QTH
in Honolulu but i got many contacts with KH6GMP in Namui via OSCAR-10
Mode-B in jan 1984 both with the bird on West and on Est just one or two
degrees above the horizon.

Nice to remember that it was very fun to build our RF equipments in a time
in wich they where not commercially available and it was very fun to
communicate worldwide using OSCAR-10 ,OSCAR-13 and AO40 until
they lasted !

Best 73" de

i8CVS Domenico