RE: R: Amateur satellites and disasters...

Just over 10 years ago I made my first satellite contacts.

I received QSLs from W6YVO, W3STW, W6ABN, and JA1BLC, operating from my
parent's home in Honolulu.

70cm uplink: Icom IC-402 6.5 watt amp, 20 element yagi
2.4GHz downlink: 2 ft dish, homebrew converter, Yaesu FT-290mkII

The antennas fit in a 2 ft square by 4 inch high box (60x60x10cm) (baggage).
The rigs, amp and converter fit in a 12x10x6 inch box (30x25x15cm) (carried on airplane).
Power:15 amp gell cell (baggage).

I could hear myself with just 1.8 watts from the exciter,
but needed the amp to make contacts.  I should have retuned the amplifier
to get 10 watts output, but this was station was quickly thrown together--I
made the trip to attend my father's early retirement party.

The S band dish support was a bunch of strategically
placed wooden blocks.
The 70 cm yagi support was a camera tripod.

A 2 ft spun aluminum dish weighs 3lbs or 1.4kg--even with the wooden struts and
dish feed it is light and easy to handle.

73--Zack W1VT  ex KH6CP