RE: Amateur satellites and disasters...

Hi Ray,

I am sorry to tell you, but I did my research before.
I have been to many countries in the world during my world-travel and I have
seen how ham radios is there, and in what way they might be helped with
amateur satellites.
Besides my travel I have been able to see what hams in India can do during
emergencies, and they make use of amateur satellites, yes the LEO's they use
!!!

Maybe the past amateur satellites were not capable of doing emergency radio
help, but that is just what I like to see changing. Amateur satellites can
be as usefull as HF, maybe even better than HF.

The problem however is not the hams in the remote areas. Many of them are
very clever and know how to set up a HF/VHF station much better than most of
the European or americans hams do.
They don't have lots of money or places to buy radio things, so they find
out very smart ways to get on HF or VHF. When I talking about an HF/VHF
station it might be difficult for you to set it up, but I know from
experience they will set it up in working conditions very well and very
quickly.

With SHF its another story, this is still a problem, but this is also the
same for many hams in Europe or USA. (thats why I don't see S-band as a good
band for these areas)

Ofcourse with a huge disaster like this time the volume of traffic is great,
but not all hams will change in one day from HF to satellite. Even if it are
only a few, it will help again, and with small area disasters satellites
might also be helpfull. On the other hand it will give the amateur
satellites a more value than now as a (EU & USA) privat flying chat-box.

Then about the passes of the satellites. You say they are not intended for
these areas. This doesn't mean that they can not be used in these areas.
Maybe some satellites are switched off, or not used much over these areas,
but they can be used when needed !!

Ao40 has a perfect foot-print on India, Ao10 also, much better than over
Europe...
The polar LEO's are available all over the world, only for short times, but
this already has proven to be usefull in the past...

I did my research very well,
Thats also why I made my comment here, to show that we can do more valueable
things with amateur satellites than only use them as chat-boxes...

73 de PE1RAH, William
---