R: Amateur satellites and disasters...

----- Original Message -----
From: William Leijenaar <pe1rah@hotmail.com>
To: <amsat-bb@amsat.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 7:55 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] Amateur satellites and disasters...

> Hi AMSATs,

> HAMSAT will be a LEO, it can only help a little but the value of a HEO
like
> AO40 would be tremendous in such a disaster. Altough S band is still not
> very practical for disaster help like this, and in most of these areas it
is
> not available by amateurs in these regions.

> 73 de PE1RAH,
> William Leijenaar
> ---

Hi William, PE1RAH

The S band with a small 60 cm dish and 2400 MHz downconverter and uplink
with a small yagi for 70 cm with 50 watt or 23 cm with 20 watt is the best
choice for emergency communications via amateur satellite provided you
have a HEO satellite available like AO40 because the above setup is easily
transportable and the HEO satellite is usable for many hours per day.
Remember Rolf DK2ZF and his small transportable station during operation via
AO40 from the Pacific area ?
The radio amateurs very active on AO40 from the disaster area where at list
the following taken from my log and this is not a very small numbar compared
to the other Region areas.

YC0OIL Adi from Jakarta OI33JQ
YB0CRT/9 Jok from Dampasar OI71PG
YB0BSR
YB0AN
VU2GMN Gopa from Madras NK03DA
VU2RM Raa from Kakana NK16DW
VU2DVP   Vidi
VU2MKP   Bob
VU2BGS    Kumar
4S7AVR     Noel from Colombo

If they are now silent on satellite and cannot partecipate to the emergency
communications via satellite is because AO40 failed and no other similar
replacement is actually available.
Probably the best emergency communications from the disaster area can be
actually made by the resident radio hams using the old HF and not the
amateur satellites unfortunately.

73" de

i8CVS Domenico