Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:55:10 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: [EssexAmateurRadio] India Moves Towards 2 Tier Licence Structure

It looks like India is at last moving towards updating it's archaic
licencing
structure. Indian Amateurs are plagued by unnecessary bureaucratic delays,
it
can take well over a year just to get a licence even after passing the
exams!
The bureaucratic barriers to becoming a Radio Amateur in India along with
the
punative taxes imposed on importing transceivers accounts for why there are
so
few Indian Amateurs in what is becoming one of the worlds most dynamic
economies with a large well educated urban population.

The current Indian licence application form seems like something out of the
1940's with the need the supply details of your fathers name and address, as
if
that's relevant, full details of the equipment you intend to use including
Make
and Model of the Transmitter and Receiver. I don't think Transceivers had
been
developed when the application form was devised. The application form has to
be
signed by a witness and you need to get someone to provide a seperate
Nationality Declaration. Apparently a security clearance is required as
well!
The full Indian rules, regulations and forms can be seen at
http://www.qsl.net/vu2lfa/wpc.htm

The changes to the licence structure which include streamlining it to just 2
grades of licence can be seen at:
http://www.qsl.net/vu2msy/VU2NCT_Suggestions_to_Home_Ministry.pdf

Below is a press release regarding a recent meeting between Indian Ministry
Officials and Amateur Organisations.

I know we all grumble about Ofcom but India proves there are even worse
things
in the world than Ofcom.

73 Trevor M5AKA

EDUCATION YOUTH AND ADVANCEMENT OF AMATEUR RADIO PRESENTED BY VK4CO RONNEE
MEACHEN.

INDIA
In a significant move, the Ministry of Home Affairs of the Govt. of India,
convened a joint meeting of the different Ministries, Government Departments
and different Amateur Radio bodies in India on December 6.

The meeting which was held at the behest of the National Disaster Management
Wing of the Ministry of Home Affairs aimed at removing the bottlenecks of
ham
radio promotion in India and to bring up a 'National Roadmap' for ham radio
promotion.

Brainstorming sessions on the following aspects were held:
(1) Amateur Radio in Education (School/College/Technical Institutes);
(2) Amateur Radio for Volunteer Groups under youth development schemes;
(3) Amateur Radio Promotion and related Legal/Security/Regulatory aspects.

The  Assistant Wireless Adviser to the Govt. of India, WPC Wing was also
present.

It was informed consideration for an amendment of the Indian Wireless
Telegraph
(Amateur Service) Rules is in the pipeline and there may be just two
categories
of ham radio licences in India, 'Restricted' and a 'General Grade' licence.

The meeting was convened and presided over by the Director, Ministry of Home
Affairs, who strongly felt that that the grievances of amateur radio
enthusiasts in India are genuine and that these attract serious attention.
He
also expressed his feelings to do away with the age old rules & regulations
pertaining to ham radio in India.

In this regard, an elaborate report is submitted to the NDM (Home Ministry)
by
VU2NCT club station of Vigyan Prasar, which is available at