Re: HF Walkie Talkie

Speaking of Walkie Talkies,
I have a burning question:
Has anyone converted any  FRS  or GMRS  HT's  to amateur
VHF or UHF service yet?    About every other kind of commercial
radio has been modified at one time or another to ham service, why
not these things?  I've seen them on sale at different outlets for
VERY cheap  at times.

Another subject,  I would equate these little  FT-817's  to a walkie-
talkie, and have seen many people carrying them around with a big
whip reminiscent of a mobile whip on them, working stations on HF.

73,
John, K6YK

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 09:23:59 -0500 "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga@usna.edu>
writes:
> HF Walkie Talkies?
>
> In this months QST the old WWII walkie talkie was discussed
> and it was a 20 milliwatt transmitter good for up to one
> mile.   Doing the 1/r^2 equation means that 5 watts would
> equate to about 16 miles.
>
> And the frequency was 80 meters with a 3 foot whip.

SNIP