From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org]On
Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2004 7:13 AM
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org; nate@natetech.com
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Delta 4 Heavy going up pretty empty?

>>> Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> 12/13/04 3:38:17 AM >>>
>Seems like a waste...  Anyone... know... why AMSAT's not
>at least sending *something* up on this flight?

"AMSAT" was involved.
We had a serious proposal for a super-GEO Amateur satellite
bird on that launch as a student project that was reviewed
by DOD.  It would have had 4 transponders for packet, APRS,
and a linear trasnsponder.  It beat out 2 dozen other
proposals and made it into the top 4.

see http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/RAgeo.html

The satellite was a BIG 5 foot diameter spaceframe on which
we proposed to put about 100 sqft of terrestrial solar cells
costing  about $10k to give us several hundred watts.   But
at the last minute DOD suggested we team with the Solar
Cell people at NRL who wanted to fly some high-tech cells.
That bumped  the project from a $100K project to a $3M
project overnight and caused us to fall off the list.

But pairing up was necessary to provide the "DOD"
relevance,  because it was a DOD  launch they had to show
payback to the taxpayers.  It took all my time for a month
working on that proposal, so believe me, an Amateur effort
was made.  I use "AMSAT" in quotes, because
the AMSAT BOD was fully informed of the project and
gave us their support, but "AMSAT" is no more than each
and all of "us" doing what we can for the Amateur
Satellite Service.

No AMSAT resources were spent on this effort, but if it
came in as a viable launch opportunity then AMSAT would
have been involved to make sure we got a payload there
on time.

de WB4APR
Naval Academy Small Satellite Lab'

>>> Nate Duehr <nate@natetech.com> 12/13/04 3:38:17 AM >>>
Curiosity killed the cat...

I was reading that the upcoming first Delta 4 Heavy launch (scrubbed
Saturday -- awaiting a new launch date) is mainly going to launch a
fake
communications satellite (DemoSat) which according to the article is
only about half-a-payload for that big bird.  There's also two
Nanosat-2's flying along, it appears.

I understand new, untested launch vehicles are not always the smartest

bet to be riding aboard (i.e. certainly Arianne V's first attempts were

rather spectacular), but it doesn't sound like AMSAT has anything
riding
along on this Delta launch that's virtually going up "empty".

Seems like a waste somehow - but I'm not a rocket scientist.  Anyone in

the know have some good info on why AMSAT's not at least sending
*something* up on this flight?  Sure "seems" to an outsider like a way

to get some cheap heavy-lift capabilities.

Bad timing?  Bad logistics?  Unlucky and not in the loop?  Limitations

imposed by Boeing/DoD/whatever?  Just not a good risk?  Nothing ready
fly?  Fear of heights?  ;-) (GRIN)

Nate WY0X
----
Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the
author.
Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite
program!