Re: Minimum Rotator Requirements for 10 ft Grid dish.

You should realize that a dish has a very large wind area (78.65 sq-ft for
a ten foot dish).  You will want first ot balance the dish weight on
whatever azimuth mount you chose, and you need a really strong one...yes a
prop pitch motor or equivalent.

73's Ed - AL7EB

At 04:20 PM 12/12/2004 -0500, Joe Leikhim wrote:
>I am interested in turning a 10 foot TVRO mesh dish for satellite
>operations, Specifically the dish is a Channel Master Mirage X model
>6363M with 5/32" Ku-Mesh. F/D 0.4 and 48" focal length. The pipe mount
>is 3.5" OD. Unfortunately the specs don't offer anything in the way of
>weight.
>
>I intend to mount this on a short tower with a thrust bearing and rotator
shelf and use a standard azimuth rotator to turn it through 360 degrees.
Elevation will be accomplished with a jack screw.

>Can anyone provide me with calcs or guidlelines to determine what type of
standard rotator might be suitable for turining this antenna? I found a
similar project originally conceived by KD5RO and published in the 1989
Microwave Update and a later ARRL publication. KD5RO used a prop pitch
rotator. I am wondering what off the shelf rotators (Yaesu, Hygain etc)
would be suitable for turning this dish. Obviously I neither want to over
or under engineer this application because either way I will spend too much
money.