From: owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@amsat.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Leikhim
Sent: Sunday, December 12, 2004 4:20 PM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Minimum Rotator Requirements for 10 ft Grid dish.

I am interested in turning a 10 foot TVRO mesh dish for satellite
operations, Specifically the dish is a Channel Master Mirage X model
6363M with 5/32" Ku-Mesh. F/D 0.4 and 48" focal length. The pipe mount
is 3.5" OD. Unfortunately the specs don't offer anything in the way of
weight.

I intend to mount this on a short tower with a thrust bearing and
rotator shelf and use a standard azimuth rotator to turn it through 360
degrees. Elevation will be accomplished with a jack screw.

Can anyone provide me with calcs or guidlelines to determine what type
of standard rotator might be suitable for turining this antenna? I found
a similar project originally conceived by KD5RO and published in the
1989 Microwave Update and a later ARRL publication. KD5RO used a prop
pitch rotator. I am wondering what off the shelf rotators (Yaesu, Hygain
etc) would be suitable for turning this dish. Obviously I neither want
to over or under engineer this application because either way I will
spend too much money.

--

Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts                        By: Jack Handey
     Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad.  And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.