Re: SSETI in the news, well, sort of

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the heads up on the "Spacedaily" article.

As a participant at the workshop mentioned in the article I can attest to
just how exciting it is being involved with such a project - the students'
enthusiasm is extremely catching.

Here is some background info written at the same time as the SpaceDaily
article from an amateur perspective which may give a bit more information.

Obviously it is a "high risk" enterprise but other than time it is not
costing "us" too much and should, hopefully, be the precursor of future
cooperation between SSETI and the amateur radio world.

As Sasha says the next critical part of the project will be the shakenvac,
thermal and EMC tests which are scheduled for January/February.

again - thanks

73

Graham G3VZV

++++++++++
SSETI Express

During the past few months a team from AMSAT-UK has been working with the
Education Office of ESA to help provide S band downlinks for the SSETI
Express satellite which is due for launch in May 2005. SSETI stands
for"Student Space Exploration and Technology Initiative" and they have been
short of RF "experts". The 437MHz transceiver has already been developed for
them by DF2FQ and our addition of a 2.4GHz transmitter will enable us to use
the satellite as a single channel U/S transponder.The satellite should have
a 3 watt output and will use the same S band amplifier from G3WDG that is
already being used to good effect on Amsat Oscar Echo.

Obviously there is very little other space qualified hardware being used so
it is quite a big challenge for the University teams from all over Europe to
produce payloads that will survive the launch and the space environment.

As well as providing the S Band hardware, AMSAT-UK members have provided
"mentoring" for the students about RF, orbit data, tracking and all the
facets of satellite operations with which we have become familiar over the
years.

After a "Workshop" session at ESA's ESTEC facility in the Netherlands in
late November, we provided a demonstration of AO51 voice reception on 2.4GHz
with a miniature groundstation using just the patch feed from the G3RUH dish
assembly. With a DB6NT downconverter, a couple of PP3 9volt batteries and a
miniature "VX1" 2 meter handheld, good signals were heard from the
satellite. Interestingly a good number of the students and even some ESA
staff members
expressed interest in becoming amateurs.

Further information on this project, including a webcam located in the
integration cleanroom, is currently available at www.sseti.net