Re: HTs on Airplanes

It is permissible to *carry* one on board, although it will probably
subject you to extra security screening:  usage is quite another
matter...

In the pre-9/11 era, the relevant FAA regulation left the use of two-
way radio equipment up to the pilot.  However, virtually every US air
carrier on which I have flown either wrongly stated that it was
illegal, or stated that corporate policy prohibited their use, either
to listen or transmit, after leaving the gate.  In the post-9/11 era,
however, it now may actually be illegal.

Just turn it off when they make the "approved electronic devices"
announcement...

73 de KA3HSW