RE: HTs on Airplanes

Telly:

If not TSA, the airlines themselves have rules.  I've flown various
times on two different airlines quite recently (AA and UA), and pilots
for both state (or words to this effect) very clearly before takeoff
that transmitting devices of any kind are not allowed at any time during
flight.

I've often wondered about this type of rule and the only thing I can
figure is that they simply make rules that cover any contingency or
circumstance.  Some (many or most??) devices would very clearly be ok at
any time.  They say that these items cause interference problems during
the critical phases of takeoff and landing.  Never mind that these
phases of flight are quite near to the ground where interference from
all kinds of terrestrial sources is greatest....and it doesn't seem to
hurt anything then, or we'd have aircraft crashing all over the place.
Departure and arrival corridors for aircraft are over and through some
of the most RF polluted waste lands known to man.  (and do they really
believe or check to make sure that EVERYONE has disabled their PDA,
laptop or cellphone....and has this ever caused a problem??)

I've flown my own private airplane with all kinds of added sources or RF
generating devices (25 watts 2 meters and 440 MHz, laptops, external
GPS, AM/FM radios, 2-way pagers, cellphones, marine 2-way radios, HF
radio gear....using aircraft-internal rubber ducks, external mounted
antennas and dragging a long wire antenna) and have very carefully
watched for any kind of deviation to radio systems or landing aids...and
I've never once noticed even a *hint* of interference.

Ah well, I'm sure professional systems are much different and my testing
certainly wasn't scientific.  And, tis better to be safe than sorry.  In
any case, nowadays it is very good advice to follow what they say to the
T, and no transmitting devices seems to be the common rule.  Indeed,
when I fly now days, I am very nearly metal free!

Please let me know if you find out something official!  73 and have a
good trip!

Gary Memory, N7BRJ