RE: Icom IC-R20 on the sats

Hi Keith

> I have acquired a new Icom IC-R20 receiver today. Seeing how it covers
> to 3.4 ghz, has anyone tried using one on the satellites,  modes S or L ?
> I would be interested to hear comments etc.

It's deaf as a post at S band I'm afraid :-(

I recently did some tests between the AR5000, AR8200Mk3, AR8600Mk2, IC-R20
and IC-R3 and all except the AR5000 are really dire - like you'll need an
LNB with between 20 and 30dB of gain to get even slightly decent
sensitivity. Even the AR5000 wasn't that great, but at least I did manage to
use it to receive AO-40 in the past barefoot.

73 Howard G6LVB