From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of Wayne Estes W9AE
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 10:19 AM
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: FCC notification

It is only appropriate that a transponder "launched" in a Russian space
suit should get a Russian license.

I honestly don't comprehend the concept of a government demanding to be
the sole licensing authority for a transmitter that will be used in
space.  No nation can legitimately claim exclusive jurisdiction outside
the earth's atmosphere.  If all countries launching satellites are
abiding by the same ITU rules for various satellite services, it seems
to me that any country (abiding by the rules) should be able to grant a
license, and every other country should be obligated to recognize that
license.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA