Re: P3E or Eagle (was AMSAT Journal membership)

At 3:16 PM -0600 10/21/04, Freeman P. Pascal IV wrote:
>Is AMSAT-NA (the regional entity) and AMSAT proper (the international
>entity) the same organization?

There is no such global international entity.

The Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation has long been known as
"AMSAT", but other organizations in other countries have called
themselves AMSAT-something. In recognition of that, as a courtesy to
organizations in other countries, AMSAT sometimes calls itself
AMSAT-NA, to emphasize that it is a peer of all the other
AMSAT-something groups, and with the intent of reducing confusion
about which group is meant.

>   More to the point aren't we, who are
>part of AMSAT or AMSAT-NA, members of the same organization?

Not really, in any formal sense.

AMSAT (aka AMSAT-NA) is a membership corporation, but not all the
AMSAT-* entities are. They are organized every which way you could
imagine. Some are branches of their national amateur radio
organization the way ARES or NTS is a branch of ARRL. Some aren't
formally organized at all. I won't pretend to understand all the
variations. In some, the whole notion of "being a member" might be
nonsense.

There is no "United Nations" organizing all these various independent
entities into a larger whole. There is, of course, a certain amount
of communication and coordination among them, but no umbrella
organization.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org